Thursday, April 3, 2008

Alone Again!

Every third day I become a single mother of 3 for 24 hours. My life is consumed by crying, shopping, bill paying, whining, schedules, and household chores. Most days I start my day at 6:00am, if not earlier, by getting up to feed my now 3 month old daughter. I put her in a car seat when she is done and then get dressed and brush my hair and teeth and then check my blood sugar level ( I am a diabetic). Then I wake up the 4 year old and get her dressed for preschool and then I wake up the 2 year old. She is the hardest to get dressed. If I give her a chance she will strip right after I get her dressed. Most times she is stripping while I am getting her dressed. I pick her up and take her down to the car and strap her in, run back up 3 flights of stairs to get the baby and the 4 year old. I have learned to have everything ready at night. Take the 4 year old (Alexius) into school. Then go home and start cleaning. I do the laundry and clean the rooms, make the beds, scrub the bathrooms, do the dishes (Don't let me elaborate on how much I hate to unload the dishwasher I usually do dishes by hand if I can help it), then fix a snack for the 2 year old (Joyner) and then fix a bottle for the baby(Skyla). Put Skyla in her car seat and try to find Joyners clothes and try to get them back on her While I am carrying her down to the car to go pick up Alexius. Joyner is usually screaming and crying. She is a very fustrated child. She has trouble hearing and has so much fliud in her ears that her head hurts alot. Hopefully that will all change. She has been recommended for tubes in the ears. Then we come home fix lunch and I try to put them all down for a nap at the same time. If I am lucky I can grab an hour for my jewelry and some down time before it starts all over again. Skyla and Alexius are very happy children, but Joyner is at that stage of constantly being clingy. I am the one who deals with it all. Leaky faucets, holes in the wall, bills, bills collectors, doctors, school stuff, homework, teachers, repairs to the house, Everything... This is the life I chose and its not easy. I recently met up with another paramedics wife and I guess I was a little dense to think I am the only one in this situation. But I am not. There are so many other wives or husbands. I believe that the spouses are the backbone for all emergency services. We take care of the day to day life so that our Husbands and wives can rescue everyone else. Some of us have jobs, pets, relatives, and/or college added on. Life goes on and they come home. They kiss the kids, swatsay hi to the wife and go to bed for the rest of the day. Because they were up rescuing the drunks, the injured, the innocents who were hurt because of stupidity all night. The lights go on an off they go sometimes not even finishing a meal having to argue with people who have blood gushing from some part of their body to get them on a stretcher so that they don't die. Or the people on drugs who seem complacent until somewhere halfway to the hospital the wake up and go absolutley nuts, screaming and jumping around throwing things, and trying to jump out the back of the truck or trying to strangle the paramedic or the driver. Then there are the sad ones who just cry for more drugs while they are taking them to the hospital but the doctor in charge didn't okay it and they have to deal with it. They are supposed to deal with this silently. They are not aloud to talk about it because of HIPPA privacy laws. The worst call to get ver is going in for a child and finding them dead and having to tell the parents that there is no hope. That they have to let go of the body. SIDS and SBS are the worst things in the world but they do go on. So to let them sleep a little after they get home is okay. I deal with the homefront. While my husband deals with the world. Its a wonder I becoming more and more reclusive. Well that's all I have time for now. I am holding JOyner in my arms while I am typing this. My time is up.

No comments: