Sunday, April 6, 2008

Bravery

Have you ever thought about what kind of fears that are overcome everyday by people? Did you know that alot of people are afraid but will never admit to it? It's a Shocker I know (Sarcasm)! I have always belived that I have to be strong that you can't show fear at all. But once in a while its nice to admit to being afraid and having someone understand. Bravery:

Courage, also known as bravery, will and fortitude, is the ability to confront fear, pain, risk/danger, uncertainty, or intimidation. 'Physical courage' is courage in the face of physical pain, hardship, or threat of death, while 'moral courage' is the courage to act rightly in the face of popular opposition, shame, scandal, or discouragement.

If you take that definition then everyday people are brave. I am scared of heights. I am 5'10 and I am terrified of heights. I have climbed a mountain (peed my pants when I slid down and almost fell), I have bungy jumped (passed out and peed my pants on the way down), I don't get on ladders, yet I live in a 3 story house; Ironically I have had to climb a tree to get my daughter out of it (as you can guess I don't climb trees but I didn't pee my pants on that one). Then there are the everyday fears, afraid of the dark, I leave a cuple of lights on throughout the house every night. I turn lights on before I go into a room, yet I have walked in the pitch black back from a neighbors house late one night with no moon or street lights and no flashlight I couldn't even see my hand or my feet I just relied on faith and instinct to guide me home (honestly, I think that was the quickest walk home I have ever done) My heart was pounding, my senses were tuned to any unusual noise or smells. It was truely walking blind. That was scary. I lock up my house every night before dark when I am alone with my girls. We don't have a window opened, a door unlocked, and all lights are on outside. I will know if you come in my yard. It probably drives the neighbors crazy but they haven't complained yet. Yet, I forget to put the trash out and I have to go out after dark to put the trash to the street and hurry in. So by definition that is Bravery because I confronted fear.

Do I feel Brave? No. I feel like a big wimp. But not everyone is comfortable in all situations. So today I challenge you to think about or do one thing in the face of fear! Please do not do anything taht will get you hurt or is illegal and will get you arrested but something that you just knew you would never do because you were scared. If you want to talk to someone new, what's the worst thing that could happen? They say no they don't want to talk to you? Go apply for the job? They say no thanks try again later? Atleast you know the what if and fear hasn't won. Let Bravery win one for yourself.

No comments: